- Because when someone doesn’t want to date me because I’m poly it’s ‘understandable’ but when I don’t want to date someone because they are monogamous it’s ‘ridiculous.’
- Because all relationship advice tells you that if you have feelings for someone else while you’re in a relationship you’re a bad person.
- Because even feminists try to slut shame me.
- Because when I tell people me and my partner have an open relationship they assume it’s because we’re going through a rough patch.
- Because people equate ‘multiple partners’ with ‘predator’ and think everything I say is an attempt to get in their pants.
- Because I am fed up of love triangles as easy plot devices in my media.
- Because the LGBTQA+ movement are so desperate to show ‘allies’ they are ‘just like everyone else’ that they shit on everyone with a non-monogamous dynamic.
- Because when a monogamous couple have sex with each other every night it’s having an active sex drive. When I have sex with a different partner every night I’m a nymphomaniac.
- Because people think that monogamy = validity, always.
- Because monogamous hetronormativity is so ingrained that I don’t even feel like I can dance with someone without telling them the complete logistics of my love life.
- Because people genuinely believe that raising a child communally is damaging to development.
- Because when I say ‘I could never be monogamous’ I get dirty looks.
- Because too many people have tried to confide in me when they’re cheating because ‘I thought you, of all people, would understand.’
- Because I can’t talk about my relationship troubles with my monogamous friends because ‘I always have something to fall back on.’ As if my relationships are meaningless.
(please reblog and add more if you like)
Let’s keep adding guys!
Because everyone just assumes that I am up for sex with them and free to do so because I am in a polyamorous relationship. No. I don’t want to sleep with you.
Because if me or my partner are ever with other people then people gossip and assume that we are all having sex with each other even when we aren’t all involved in that way with one another.
Because when I break up with a partner and am sad about it I’ve had monogamous people tell me “at least you still have your other partner” as if that’s making it some less of a loss.
Because if I ever argue with any of my partners or have any issues that are general to any relationship model many of my monogamous friends will blame it on the polyamory and berate it all saying it sounds too complicated. Even if the argument was about nothing to do with polyamory.
Because people assume I will become monogamous when I meet the right person and that my other partners aren’t good enough somehow.
Because when I started dating a monogamous person who wanted to try open themselves up to being poly I was accused of manipulating them into it and being selfish for not changing to be mono for them. Even though they kept explaining to people that they wanted it for themselves and it was their choice. People wouldn’t listen to him and now years later they tell us they admire our relationship and wish they had one like it.
There is nothing wrong with polyamory. It can be perfectly healthy and happy.